Skip to the content
- This assembly is a spiritual organism of born again believers. We are under the direct authority of the Lord Jesus Christ through His Word, the leading of the Holy Spirit of God, and the leadership of elders. (Matthew 18:20, Colossians 1:18, John 16:13)
- The purpose of the Church is to gather in unity to worship and serve God. We seek to follow the example of the early Church in fellowship, breaking of bread, prayer, praise and Bible study. (Ephesians 4:1-3, Acts 2:41- 42, 46 – 47, Acts 20:7)
- Christians are welcome to become members of the local church, providing their conduct and doctrine are consistent with the Word of God. (Romans 15:7, Acts 2:41-42, Romans 12:2)
- We observe two ordinances:
i) baptism by immersion, on personal confession of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and
ii) the remembrance of the Lord’s Supper on the first day of the week by believers who are at peace with each other, and worthy before God.
(Matthew 28:18-20, Romans 6:3 – 4, 1 Corinthians 11:23 – 29)
- We recognize the priesthood of all believers and the diversity of spiritual gifts for the building of the body of Christ. (1 Peter 2:9 -10, 1 Corinthians 12:4, 1 Peter 4:10.).
- We believe that the foundational spiritual and sign gifts such as apostles, prophesy, tongues, healing and miracles, are not in operation in the current age of the church. (1 Corinthians 13:8, 1 Corinthians 12:8-10, Ephesians 4:11, Romans 12:6-8, 1 Peter 4:11).
- The elders are accountable to the Lord Jesus Christ to care, teach, counsel, and correct those in fellowship, in all spiritual matters. (1 Peter 5:2-4, Heb. 13:17, Titus 1:5-9)
- Deacons are responsible to serve the spiritual and material needs of the Church. (1 Timothy. 3:8-13, Acts 6:1-3)
- Men and women are equal in position as children of God. Men are responsible to lead and teach when the assembly is gathered together. Women also, are encouraged to develop spiritual gifts in teaching women and children, and in other areas of service to the Lord and the assembly. We teach and encourage women to wear a head covering during assembly meetings, as a personal act of submission to God’s distinction between man and woman. (Galatians 3:26-28, 1 Timothy 2:8, 11-12, 1 Corinthians 11:1-16)
- We preach the gospel of the grace of God: that salvation is through faith in the finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross and His triumphant resurrection. We emphasize that the eternal destiny of the individual is determined by personal choice, of accepting or rejecting the Lord Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 1:16, Acts 4:12, John 3:36)
- We encourage all believers to exercise unity in the church and to live Christ-like in the world. As servants of God, we are witnesses for Him to all peoples. (1 Corinthians 1:10, Matthew 18:15, Titus 2:1-15, Matthew 28:19)
- This assembly takes action together in matters of sin that requires serious discipline such as described in 1 Corinthians 5 & 6, Romans 1:26-27.
- Free-will offerings of the Lord’s people are prayerfully distributed to carry on the Lord’s work here at West Fifth Bible Chapel, as well as to support home and foreign missions. We are committed to the preaching of the Gospel and making disciples of all men. (1 Corinthians 16:1-2, Philippians 4:18)